We are all motivated by different things and there is no “one size fits all” way to motivate your team.
Understanding your people can help you create the conditions which will allow them to be motivated.
Motivation is the driving force that makes us do things in order to receive and enjoy the pleasure of the reward of some kind OR avoid doing things in order to avoid the pain which is likely to arise out of the activity
- What motivates you?
- What motivates those who work for you?
- When a need is met it no longer becomes a motivator so how can you motivate then?
Maslow’s hierarchy of needs
The rules of Motivation
- You must be motivated to motivate
- Motivation often requires a SMART goal
- Motivation, once established does not last forever
- Motivation usually requires lots of individual recognition
- To motivate you must participate
- Progress and success can motivate
- Challenge only motivates if you can succeed