This learning byte helps you to identify the
stages of team development
Tuckman has identified that teams work through four, quite separate, stages:
- FORMINGThe group gets together for the first time. Formal rules/methods of working are yet to be established
- STORMINGAfter the relatively polite forming stage, members grow in confidence and an amount of in-fighting is likely
- NORMINGNow the group moves on to establish norms in the form of systems and procedures
- PERFORMINGFinally, the group becomes far more of a cohesive unit and starts to perform as a team
- What stage of team development is your team at?
- What impact is this having on the team performance?
- What can you do to progress your team to the next stage?
- How can you help your team with this transition?
- Progress from one stage to the other is not automatic!
- Whenever a new person joins the team the dynamics will change again
- Your team may be in ach stage for different time periods